Re: Water Testing
Posted by DanH on March 21, 2015, 4:13 pm, in reply to "Re: Water Testing"
Transworld Surf has published an article Seven Surf Sicknesses which are actually a mixture of illnesses and the pathogens that cause illnesses. Their list is: MRSA, Hepatitis A, Encephalitis and Meningitis, Gastroentiritis, Vibrio Vulnificus, Leptospirosis, and Unknown and Bizarre illnesses.
Personal examples of extreme health effects from exposure to polluted runoff and/or sewage spills include:
Chris O'Connel had a cut on his arm and went in Mission Bay, San Diego after a rain event. His arm became infected with the Streptococcus bacteria and he almost died. Three operations and two and half weeks in the hospital saved his life.
A member of the Long Beach Chapter of Surfrider Foundation became infected with the same bacteria after surfing near the San Gabriel River Mouth. Charles Moore of Long Beach was also hospitalized for two weeks.
A long-time Surfrider Legal Issues Team member nearly had to have his foot amputated after a blister (and subsequent surfing) turned into a nasty MRSA infection (see Staph Infections).
Mike Rhodes, another long-time Surfrider Legal Issues Team member, developed a massive ear infection and build-up of fluid in the inner ear after surfing in Del Mar, CA after a rain.
A young surfer was reportedly diagnosed with Bell's Palsey after surfing in the Cardiff, CA area shortly after a rain event.
Surfer Timmy Turner nearly died after an aggressive staph infection attacked his brain.
BTW, the sewage is still running into the lagoon and from there to the beach areas.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Water Testing - valerie :)* March 20, 2015, 3:56 pm
- Re: Water Testing - Vicki and Robin March 20, 2015, 4:31 pm
- Re: Water Testing - mary s March 20, 2015, 4:43 pm
- Re: Water Testing - Daniel H March 21, 2015, 1:01 am
- Re: Water Testing - mark March 21, 2015, 9:59 am
- Re: Water Testing - jane henderson March 21, 2015, 2:07 pm
- Re: Water Testing - DanH March 21, 2015, 4:13 pm
- Re: Water Testing - Linda Mandala March 22, 2015, 12:10 pm
- Reddit sub water / water testing - Daniel H March 23, 2015, 1:12 pm
« Back to index | View thread »