La Manzanilla Message Board Archives
La Manzanilla message board
Re: Bebe Tortugas
Posted by Dennis on December 12, 2016, 11:55 am, in reply to "Re: Bebe Tortugas"
I was at the Careyes Biosphere open house on Saturday and was surprised to be taught, by a man whose life work is the protection and proliferation of sea and other turtles, that the capture and even brief detention of the babies followed by their release into the sea by human hand, is not a helpful strategy. Apparently it exhausts them, making them more vulnerable as they enter the sea, and disrupts their natural GPS which is honed during that flip flip trip down the beach to the sea. Without that trip and resultant GPS, they can't home in on the area of their birth, the only place on the planet where a female will lay her egg(s). It seems most helpful would be to stand by and protect them as eggs and later as flippers to the sea. Like many well intentioned folks, I was hoping to take part in a release, but have rethought that. The Biosphere is amazing!
- Bebe Tortugas - Jan G November 16, 2016, 10:39 pm
- Re: Bebe Tortugas - Valerie November 17, 2016, 9:30 am
- Re: Bebe Tortugas - mags November 17, 2016, 6:28 pm
- Re: Bebe Tortugas - Jan G November 18, 2016, 6:16 pm
- Re: Bebe Tortugas - Dennis December 12, 2016, 11:55 am
- Re: Bebe Tortugas - Marcia December 12, 2016, 4:46 pm
« Back to index | View thread »