This should be a cautionary tail (pun intended) for other dog owners who bring their pets to the tropics. Three months ago, while cruising thru the back yard, Rube came across a Cane Toad, and being the hunter she was, when it jumped so did she and no more Toad. However, Cane Toads and many of their cousins are highly toxic, in this case resulting in death after months of decline.
The nuero-toxins in these amphibians is potent shit. Often the toxin is present on the skin as well, so even minor contact can be problematic. With Rube her kidneys, pancreas and spinal column nerves were all damaged beyond repair and slowly quit working. Not a pretty ending.
So in closing, be aware what your pup is up to. With amphibians and many reptiles the brighter the color, the more striking the contrast of coloring, is nature's warning to stay away, do not touch this critter.
Bye Rube. Rojo
« Back to index | View thread »