La Manzanilla Message Board Archives
Re: Buying a Mexican car
Posted by DanHo on February 15, 2017, 7:11 pm, in reply to "Re: Buying a Mexican car"
This has gotten a little strange. Some people have been able to buy and plate cars only with holding a tourist permit, others have been turned down. They started doing that in Chapala but I'm told there are other offices that will let you transfer the car.
You could always deal with a car dealer who probably can get this handled for you.
As far as the OP is concerned, if the car has already been imported, you just change ownership like you would with any other Jalisco car. If it has Mexican but non Jalisco plates there are additional steps including an inspection by the authorities required.
If it has non Mexican plates, do yourself a favor and don't open the can of worms called importing it. Mexico is very protectionist about cars and they really make it not worth the trouble and expense to import.
Consider a trip up to GDL or even the Chapala area where you will find a number of decent choices in used cars. If you pick that option, let me know and I'll steer your in the right (safe) direction.
- Buying a Mexican car - Larry Field November 17, 2016, 8:43 pm
- Re: Buying a Mexican car - Paul November 18, 2016, 9:01 am
- Re: Buying a Mexican car - Paul November 18, 2016, 9:07 am
- Re: Buying a Mexican car - Dave Gables February 15, 2017, 7:00 pm
- Re: Buying a Mexican car - DanHo February 15, 2017, 7:11 pm
- Re: Buying a Mexican car - Daniel H February 15, 2017, 7:54 pm
- Re: Buying a Mexican car - Dwayne Schulz February 16, 2017, 8:25 am
« Back to index | View thread »