A general summary:
1. About 70 or so foreigners and a few Mexicans present. (Mexicans will have a separate meeting)
2.Morgan explained that there is an immediate water system need and a looming long-term crisis. There are some solutions.
1. An old pump should be (will be?) replaced with a bigger pump in order to increase delivery capacity. This could happen soon if government funding comes through and/or local funds are raised.
2. Because of the second successive drought year, there is a lack of water. It is planned to drill one of the two wells deeper to access more water. Again, requires funding.
3. Morgan, as manager of the system, suffers from lack of cash flow to manage a short-tern fix. This is because only 40% of water users pay their water tax.
4. Pumps consume a lot of electricity. There is insufficient cash to pay the electric bill, which must be monitored constantly.
5. Pumps can be run only so long. When first on, high demand at lower elevations restrict flow to higher elevations, meaning houses higher up do not get sufficient water.
6. Many people are being forced to buy water, which comes from the same aquifer. The town gets no revenue from these water sales.
7. To generate more cash flow, water rates have been increased by 100% immediately. Those who have already paid the old rate this year are asked to pay to him the remaining due.
1. Nothing can be done about Tamarindo or Four Seasons using large volumes of water and even larger amounts in future.
2. The Municipality will likely need to take over management of water for the town and may look at installing water meters to make sure people pay and pay an equitable share for water.
3. The cost of water will rise.
4. Primi, President of the Ejido, explained the the Ejido is committed to a long-term solution to the water issues. This includes to drilling of an additional well, but this won't happen soon.
Important: It is absolutely essential that EVERYONE pay their water taxes to Morgan now. Pay at the bike shop. Morgan is deeply committed to getting water to every household but he needs help.
Morgan received public thanks for his years of dedicated service to the people of La Manzanilla.
« Back to index | View thread »
Be sure to visit www.lamanzanilla.info for more information about La Manzanilla Mexico.